Alrighty folks, I'm back to blogging. Last few weeks have been preeeeeeeety hectic. Apparently the whole senioritis thing won't be able to kick in till next semester. Recently I got the opportunity to interview a well known man not only in advertising but show business as well. Gary Kroeger, a long time actor with previous parts on SNL, Dilbert, and Press Your Luck, currently works at Mudd Advertising as the lead Marketing Director. I sat down with him a few days ago and got to pick his brain and got some great insight on the Marketing and Advertising profession.
When I first shook hands with Gary, I instantly knew this interview was going to be well... entertaining to say the least. Gary is very enthusiastic about not only his job in advertising but about life in general. I started by asking him a few of the basics...how did you get involved in marketing, what do you do on a daily basis, if you could go back and redo everything would you? Gary answered all of these with ease but also took time to relate them to me, a student hoping to eventually be where he is today.
He summarized Advertising as being a mix between sales and entertainment. Everything he does is a little play, with a beginning - middle - and an end. Its about creativity and innovation. I thought I would list the points that really hit home with me.
-Advertising solves problems. Messaging media. SELL. Create the messages and find the medium to call people to an action.
- Trust Yourself
- You are the storyteller
- Know what your getting into
- On time is late
- relationships start 10 min before and 10 min after the meeting.
be friendly
be happy
be positive
be open
be early.
No comments:
Post a Comment