
Hello Everyone, Lets get things started shall we? For my first real blog post about advertising, food, design etc. I have chosen an item that I'm sure everyone has consumed sometime in their life. Its a brand you grew up with. An item you look forward to having after a long winter day. Dozens of flavors and varieties. Any guess? Well from reading the title, I'm sure you have a hunch. Campbell's soup. You only have to hear the few beginning notes of the little jingle " mmm.mmm good" and Campbell's red and white tomato soup label shows up in your mind. I'm guessing it brings you back to the good ol' days when your mom would make you and your friends tomato soup and grilled cheese. I know for me it was always my go to sick remedy. Campbell's soup, crackers, Z-Up, and a little R & R. I'd be back to myself in no time. Well Campbell's has recently been making some head lines. As you all know Campbell's is notorious for their red and white vintage design. But who was the one who made this design the icon that it is today? The answer... Andy Warhol. Just to give you a little history lesson, Andy Warhol was an American artist who was most popular during the 1960's pop-art movement. As a painter he would take ordinary objects or people and create brightly colored , almost comical works of art. He had a way of using repetition, and contrasting colors to make these images "pop". During his career, Warhol took a turn in his work and decided to design a few pieces around a well - known American soup brand...you guessed it, Campbell's. Warhol was not hired by Campbell's, he simply choose this for one reason only, he liked soup. After designing the logo we all know today Campbell's soup sales rocketed and became one if not thee most well known soup brand in the world.

Fifty years later, Campbell's decides its time to really celebrate their brand and most of all, Andy Warhol. Campbell's recently launched a series of 4 Warhol inspired tomato soup cans to be sold in Target stores around the nation for only .75 cents a piece. Jonathan Thorn, Campbell’s corporate archivist, described the pop artist who died in 1987 as a visionary who revolutionized contemporary art. "Things like that had never been done before. No one painted products in the 1950s and 1960s,” he said. While these cans are only sold for a limited time, in the past few weeks they have already been a hit. Not only do these cans celebrate the history of the brand but also the work of a great artist. I give Campbell's two spoons up for their great advertising...mixing a little bit of history with some self promotion. On that note...I think I'll have some soup for lunch.
I love the Warhol soup cans! I was in a big search for them at the Target's near us. I even had Mark looking for them for me! Finally found some and bought all 4 colors so I can make something creative with them :)
ReplyDeleteI've been looking for them too! Unfortunately I think they are only sold in select Target stores. Hope to get find a few before its too late! Thanks for the comment!
Delete